OhioFlyers.org

Go Back   OhioFlyers.org > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Club Member

Default GPS

Last year sometime, Eric posted a few probing questions about GPS options, which set off several valueable email exchanges. If memory serves, the upshot was a fairly consistent recommnedaton for a 76 GPSMAP series unit (S,Cx,CSx). A few follow-up questions for the experienced users:
  • Is the SD memory disk necessary?
  • Which is better - b/w or color? ...Is the color bright enough in the sunlight?
  • Is increased sensitivity necessary?
Except for the funky profile, the 60 series appear to be very similar. Why are they not recommneded?

Finally, there was no mention of either the Colorado or Oregon units. Any experiences with these?

..just curious

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145

Old 02-23-2009, 05:24 AM
El Presidente

My $.02

The SD card is not a requirement. I do wish I had one. You can load up the maps for the Ohio Flying area, but if you go somewhere else you will need to reload the maps for that area, then reload the Ohio Maps when you get back. Not a big deal, but It would be nice not to have to do that.

Black and white screens are fine for what we need. Color screens may be nice, but they may be smaller and with higher resolution, things may be smaller on them. Making it tought to do things like see where you are, or where your going. (Or maybe I'm just complaining because I do not have a color display.)

I'm not sure what you mean by increased sensativity. You obviously want to be able to tell where you are. For the most part, around here ball park is close enough. As long as you can tell your pick up what road you are on and where on the road you are. (I'm on cr 316 about 3 miles west of Darbyville)

I'm not familiar with the 60 series garmins. I think the 70 series is older and maybe at one point was the cheapest GPS that did what we needed it to do. Now I think there are plenty of others, but since we tend to buy what is proven to work......

Old 02-23-2009, 04:44 PM

I know the Oregon is a touch screen. Looked at them in the store, (the counter girl was smokin hot), really big screen fun to play with butÖitís a touch screen. Not so good when youíre wearing gloves and the screen kept wanting to automatically dim. It also looked like it would be a pain in the arse to mount.

The Colorado was pretty neat too. It has a little joystick to let you scroll thru everything. Fairly user friendly. The counter girl was flying thru functions and screens and made it look really easy to use. Again it looked somewhat challenging to mount.
I also heard somewhere that it couldnít connect to some popular HG software. Vague I know, maybe somebody else could expand that aspect.

Donít now anything about the 60 series.

76S and 76CSX seem to be the most popular but I've also heard of people using the 96 and Etrex models

Old 02-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Club Member

Hello Mike!

I can be wrong, but I think Craig is complaining and wishes he had a color screen. I have the Color model and all is very clear in sun or shade, no issue what so ever. I purchased the 96C model, because it had the airport pre entered with respected air space, wanted to make sure I never entered one. I know you can enter this info manually and will do the same thing, I'm just lazy! Oh, one more thing, the 96C will also compliment you while flying and say things like haha!, you have climbed over craig's wing! Just a nice thing to hear from time to time! Eric (I wish)

Old 02-24-2009, 05:19 AM
El Presidente

LIES!

Old 02-24-2009, 05:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Proulx View Post
Hello Mike!
... Oh, one more thing, the 96C will also compliment you while flying and say things like haha!, you have climbed over craig's wing! Just a nice thing to hear from time to time! Eric (I wish)
Can I get one that says things like "thermal core is to the left, bank 27 deg and fly a little faster to stay in it ... I said left, dummy!!! TURN LEFFFTTT!!! ..." ?? That'd be nice.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:49 AM
mjp103

Mike, you might be able to pick up Eric's GPS used because I heard that they are coming out with one in blue to match his new color scheme.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Club Member

Want one!

Old 02-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketest View Post
Last year sometime, Eric posted a few probing questions about GPS options, which set off several valuable email exchanges. If memory serves, the upshot was a fairly consistent recommendation for a 76 GPSMAP series unit (S,Cx,CSx). A few follow-up questions for the experienced users:
  • Is the SD memory disk necessary?
  • Which is better - b/w or color? ...Is the color bright enough in the sunlight?
  • Is increased sensitivity necessary?
Except for the funky profile, the 60 series appear to be very similar. Why are they not recommended?

Finally, there was no mention of either the Colorado or Oregon units. Any experiences with these?

..just curious

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145
I have been flying with Garmin GPSs for a long time now. Started with the Garmin 35 where you had to manually put in the GPS coordinates of the waypionts you thought you might be flying near. Though, I don't consider myself an expert on the subject, I know what works and doesn't work for me.

First off, what are you going to use the unit for? Flying around the field, trying to fly back to where you picked up a thermal before, so you can see your pretty little circles on the screen after you land. Don't need a lot of memory or an SD card for that. Are you planning on flying XC (important to have a retrieval system in place before you consider that, radios, driver, vehicle with gas and keys available). Will need a GPS with the moving map capability
  • Is the SD memory disk necessary? Depends on your need and how much money you want to spend. I flew with the GPS 76 for many years with the 8 meg expanded internal memory. If you are only going to be flying one site most of the time, this is good enough. Other wise, you will need to set up different map files on your computer to upload to the unit each time you fly a different site (100 miles apart). SD memory disks have a bad habit of getting lost, left at home or won't work because of hardware issues (scratched, broken board). I am currently using the 76Cx, which has 128 megs of expandable internal memory along with the base map. I have all the different flying sites that I fly in OH, Md., Va., Pa., and Fl. in there (haven't flown Tn for a long time but I think there is still room to put the extra detail for there to. You need the extra detail loaded to the base maps or it won't show your the name of the little County road you have just landed near. The base maps only show the major highways. Isn't that right Erick.
  • Is increased sensitivity necessary? Again, depends on how much money you want to spend. The color screens are great in direct sun light, for which they were designed. However, when you are thermaling, you are constantly going from sun to shade. This can make the color screen difficult to see. However, bright sun light can make the B/Ws hard to see also.
Except for the funky profile, the 60 series appear to be very similar. Why are they not recommended? Stay away from any GPS with an external antenna. You will drop it, have a hard landing, set on it in the car, etc. and break the antenna off. Replaced 2 on my GPS 45 at $90 each. One of the reasons I went to the 76, internal antenna.

Finally, there was no mention of either the Colorado or Oregon units. Any experiences with these? Oregon looks great, small size. But, I would be concerned with the touch screen. Like Craig said, are you going to be able to work it with gloves on, will it work at all in cold temps at high altitudes.

If you look at to specs of the different units, you will find that the screen sizes are about the same. 1.5-1.6 x 2.2-2.5, with similar resolution.

Things to look at: if you are going to use a vario with a speed to fly functions on your vario, the GPS will need to be mounted close to the vario (most vario companies have mounting hardware for the popular 76 models or there easy to make). The GPS will need to have a serial port and cable (usually available through the company that sells the vario) to interface with the vario. Also, a lot of varios can use this interface to compare airspeed with ground speed (from the GPS) and can give you a reliable wind speed and direction. Good for when you are landing out and your not sure what the wind is doing on the ground. This is not perfect and ground terrain may alter actual direction, but it can give some idea about which way to set up your approach.

You should have a way to zoom in and out so you can adjust the detail you are looking at. At some point you will need to zoom in to be able to tell what the name of the little road is that you are landing near way out in BumFxxxNowhere, so you can relay that info to someone before you get to low, if you have a radio (pray they have cell service where you are landing). Usually (on the 76s), I will run the cursor ahead on the map, which will move the map ahead in the direction I am moving it, to find the name of a landmark that I am able to see form the air (town, intersection, lake) and tell my driver where I am heading for. This way they can plot where they are and where I am heading and adjust there route to coincide.

There are many other features that are useful, but those are the main ones for flying. Again, what is your main purpose for the use of the unit/what features will you need to accomplish your goals and how much are you willing to spend. I have been looking at some of the mobile GPSs. The screens are bigger, some run on batteries, the price is not bad and I know I can figure out a way to mount it. But it won't interface with my vario, I can't add the detail that I would like and I can't move the map ahead to see whats coming. So far the 76 models have been what I see most pilots using. Mainly because of the ability to transfer data to/ from vario/computer, the features that are usable while in the air and reliability. If money is not an issue, the 96s are great. But you still have to add the detail to the base map just like the 76s, which mean you will need a Mapsource CD to down load the detail from your computer to the GPS. Not really hard once you have done it a couple times.

Maybe we can get a seminar/ bull session going at WesMar some time to go over some of the different features that can be used for finding your way around the skies.

Last edited by Larry Ball; 02-25-2009 at 10:48 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry Ball For This Useful Post: