OhioFlyers.org

Go Back   OhioFlyers.org > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2017, 07:33 AM
Club Member

Default 2017 OF's Meeting In The Books

Another meeting is in the books and another fine job from our Secretary/Treasurer, Mike Compton. He has a knack for assembling and producing a fine presentation and once again didn't disappoint. Even with the remnants of a cold! Will allow others to provide all the details of the meeting and officers elected but do want to say thanks to Mike for several years of very challenging and time consuming service. Mike has laid out a plan for the future of the OF's and its officers and their staff (so to speak). In doing so, he had the foresight to subdivide many of the tasks and responsibilities to allow a more manageable and less time consuming role for those officials and selected/volunteered members. I'm not sure why, and it may have something to do with Mike's penchant for detail and flair for the narrative, that when the time came to elect a new Secretary - no one stood up. Mike has made his intentions clear that he wants to step down from this role. He is uncertain that he will be an active flying member of the Club, has done a great deal of work during a difficult transition period for the USHPA and its members and wants to move on to other endeavors. Somehow, as a Club, the need is imminent to select/elect a new Secretary and it is worth noting that this position will be separate from the Treasurer and that, with any luck, the worst of the transition and requirements of are behind us. Also of note, the filling of Mike's shoes with respect to the detail of the annual meeting presentation does not have to be as elaborate as it has been during his tenure. As most will agree, we are a simple group and can certainly get by with less but that is not to say that more isn't appreciated and it was. Typically, new blood within the OF's have been motivated to step into these roles. It a good way to get to know those who made the same commitments and pay forward, to the Club and its future. Please consider making that commitment.
Also a BIG THANK YOU to Matt Hahn and all at Shadowbox for providing the venue and hospitality once again. Thanks to Willie, John Alden and Larry Huffman for assisting with the parachute repacking. I know that, for many, it is very comforting to have that help. Thanks also to Dan Miner for nominating me as an Honorary Lifetime Member and all those who felt inclined to concur. The recognition is much appreciated but also worth noting that using the same criteria, there are others so deserving. I am admittedly on the fence with regard to my continued participation, as far as flying goes and had that conversation with a few of the members. Regardless, I will continue to make my annual dues and the Treasurer can decide how he/she will apply those funds. Stay Tuned for more details as I am sure that a full report will be coming shortly.

Last edited by fdmurphy44; 02-26-2017 at 07:36 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fdmurphy44 For This Useful Post:

Old 02-26-2017, 07:20 PM
Club Member

Indeed, it is… In the books, that is. Just a few stark highlights of the meeting follow; details will be in the minutes:

34 members attended, either virtually* or in person…. Largest turnout in recent memory! Quorum requirements were satisfied(!)

*An OF first: Members Adam Lee and Dave Blocksom set up and managed a webcast of the meeting so that member pilots throughout the region could tune in, participate …and vote. Several members from the CLE area did just that.

Your new President is Mike Jenovic - a PGer from CLE
Your new Vice President – Felipe Amunategui; an HGer, current USHPA Towing/HG Committee Chair and former Region 9 co-Director... also from the CLE area
Your new Treasurer is Andrea Lee - a PGer and (...there isn't enough room to list everything!), from C’bus
Your new Secretary - TBD. A candidate for Secretary never materialized. The club needs a secretary; obtaining one will be a focus for the incoming administration.
Your new Safety Coordinator is Jim Hehnen, an HGer… also from CLE

The proposed expansion OF posts was accepted:
Membership – Adam Lee; PGer from C’bus ...and hubby of your new Treasurer, Andrea.
OF Flight Records – Adam Lee
Site Administrator/Richmond Dale – Eric Proulx
Site Administrator/Edgewater – TBD
Site Administrator/WesMar – TBD
Web Site Administrator – Michal (assuming he’s willing to continue) with support from Sri. If Michal cannot continue, Sri has volunteered.
Voting Administrator – TBD (no volunteers)
Bylaws/Policy Czar – TBD (no volunteers)
Spring Meeting ['18] Coordinator/Organizer – TBD

Frank Murphy was elected into the OF Hall of Fame and granted Life Membership. John Alden was also nominated (again), and declined (again).

Members agreed to make a $300 donation to Shadowbox Live Academy Arts Educational Program.

Thanks to Larry Ball, the club has a new logo – one that captures both PG and HG. He’s also the POC for hats and shirts to be adorned with the new logo. Details and ordering info to follow… Contact him directly if you just can’t wait!

And the coveted trophy reappeared. After bringing it up to date with nameplates for several past accomplishments, Larry added one other - that of Augusto Espinosa for the longest/highest/farthest flight in '16 - a PG flight launched from WesMar (...I think I got that right; apologies if my memory fails me here! If incorrect I'll fix it in the minutes!)

That’s it for now… Details will be included in the Minutes. Slides shown at the meeting will soon be made available, along with links to the updated bylaws (v11), and the site guide and risk management plans for each site.

best regards!
m

Last edited by miketest; 02-26-2017 at 11:54 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to miketest For This Useful Post:

Old 03-18-2017, 06:22 PM
Club Member

Default slides and minutes posted

go to this thread for slides shown and meeting minutes:
http://www.ohioflyers.org/showthread.php?t=1887