OhioFlyers.org

Go Back   OhioFlyers.org > Club News

Old 03-26-2014, 11:53 AM
Club Member

Dan, here are some sites that it might be possible to tow up to. Rueb Hill (3918'0.60"N, 83 5'26.88"W) has a road on top with no power lines. Bourneville ( 3916'33.53"N, 83 8'35.55"W) has two 2500' roads nearby. I'm sure there are more. Static line from a four wheeler might work best.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lwright For This Useful Post:

Old 03-26-2014, 09:12 PM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright View Post
Dan, . I'm sure there are more. Static line from a four wheeler might work best.

This idea is very interesting to me. Lets hear more about getting a Tow unit like that.

A quick pull of 500 ft alt. on that road called Salem on top of Laughfrey could very well open up that site. Lower LZ is probably still very tight if it still exsists at all. Top landings may rule the day.

I'm sure this method would be very sweet for a way to hit most your spots Larry. Could very well open that Rueb Hill for sure. I mean how much road do you need for 500 ft?

You know that Scooter rig could be very similar if I'm thinking clearly. I'm in either way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freeeba For This Useful Post:

Old 03-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Club Member

Sounds very doable! This method could open up a whole new set of ridges for the Ohio boys!!

Old 03-29-2014, 01:25 PM
Club Member

Send a message via Skype™ to sdelivera
It appears necessity has fueled your collective imaginations.

I'm very interested in being a part of this, and at the risk of stating the obvious, I'm guessing the sooner we start flying these sites the better so we have viable LZ options.

Having no experience with static towing, I would appreciate some clarification from those who have...

If static towing is the simplest means up, does it have to be a quad or would a car/truck with a tow hitch do the trick?

If towing by car/truck are options (perhaps locked on 2nd gear to avoid over-speed), I figure it will afford us more flexibility since we won't be reliant on someone to bring a quad.

Monitoring pressure: I know with scooter towing we try not to exceed 300lbs of pressure. With static towing, would I be correct to assume the weak-link will be our primary and possibly only means of not exceeding that load?

If launching from a road, do we need to meet any legal, insurance, or other obligations?

From a personal safety perspective, do you think it might be advisable to do a few practice runs to perfect launching technique at WesMar?

Foot launch or cart launch?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Last edited by sdelivera; 03-29-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Club Member

Here is a good link for info
http://www.birrendesign.com/towing_P.html
The Following User Says Thank You to lwright For This Useful Post:

Old 03-29-2014, 03:34 PM
Club Member - Tug Pilot

I have a complete static line system, which can mount up to virtually any type of vehicle.
No need to purchase or build, just pick it up and use it, if that's what you want.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Sri,
since we use this system in Indiana very frequently I feel somewhat qualified to answer your questions:

If static towing is the simplest means up, does it have to be a quad or would a car/truck with a tow hitch do the trick?
Either one will do. We even tow with Patrick Z's electric car and the system mounted inside the trunk somehow.

If towing by car/truck are options (perhaps locked on 2nd gear to avoid over-speed), I figure it will afford us more flexibility since we won't be reliant on someone to bring a quad. We normally tow in D (no 2nd gear lock necessary). Yes, it does offer a little bit more flexibility. It's always easier to pick up the system from someone to go flying even if the owner cannot, easier than picking up a scooter system.

Monitoring pressure: I know with scooter towing we try not to exceed 300lbs of pressure. With static towing, would I be correct to assume the weak-link will be our primary and possibly only means of not exceeding that load?
The system we use does have a gauge, just like John's scootzilla. The cylinder is mounted between the tow line and the attachment point on the vehicle, the gauge sits on the hood of the car (magnet). We tow at around 180lbs of pressure and we use standard weak links just like scooter tow.

If launching from a road, do we need to meet any legal, insurance, or other obligations?
We do have a permission of the land owners adjacent to the road, but no insurance (read, not necessarily an obligation, depends on your negotiating skills)

From a personal safety perspective, do you think it might be advisable to do a few practice runs to perfect launching technique at WesMar?
It wouldn't hurt, especially if you haven't towed with a scooter in a while. From my personal experience, if you can scooter tow, you can static tow. The pressure on the pilot is not as drastic as with scooter tow, you're being pulled more forward (rather than downward towards the end of the tow) than on scooter, obviously not as natural of a direction as aerotow offers (straight forward at all times).

Foot launch or cart launch?
I've only foot launched for static tows but I imagine cart launch is only limited by the nature of the take off area. If your road is wide enough with no obstacles on the sides and you're not worried about where the cart is going to go during launch, where it's going to end up after launch, and what it's going to hit, you sure can use a cart. One thing to consider here is the wind direction. If you're towing on a road parallel to the ridge on a soarable day, you're most likely taking off into a 10-15mph 90degree crosswind. If you're lucky enough to have a road perpendicular to the ridge on a soarable day and are taking off into the 10-15 wind, you'll be off the ground in half a step.

Last edited by Michal M.; 03-29-2014 at 04:30 PM.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:37 PM
Club Member

Static Line Tow : Pilot duties... Avoid cross winds of more than 45 degrees. NO cart launches. Hold fast the Glider against pulling forces with a foot plant during the strong pull from Static Line untill pulled from deck. (Running will happen when foot plant is over come by forward pulling) Maintain flat and level climb to release altitude. Roll in the 17 feet of tow bridle. You are now considered launched.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:51 PM

Default foot launch sites

I'm just back from Eagle Rock (ER), VA, and realized how much I missed a good foot launch site:(... what would it take to open that site again? should I go ahead and drive to laughery creek over the weekend to meet the landowners and have a chat... maybe they even consider selling the hilltop;)

BTW, ER was great, I took my 4 yr old on a tandem ride (his very first one), and he had a blast... I will definitely go again during the Eagle Rock fly in in 3 weeks time..
The Following User Says Thank You to kacmazmert For This Useful Post:

Old 05-26-2014, 09:38 PM
Club Member

[quote=kacmazmert; should I go ahead and drive to laughery creek over the weekend to meet the landowners and have a chat... maybe they even consider selling the hilltop;)

I say go for it.

BUT! if the land owner is the same pair then it will be a long shot for sure. You see they wanted the tree line at top to close in the launch area. That was a long time ago and reason we quit flyin there. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to freeeba For This Useful Post: