OhioFlyers.org

Go Back   OhioFlyers.org > Off-topic

Old 03-26-2014, 11:27 AM

Default How high will UP be?????

Hi,
I am new to this forum.
I am building a Marske Monarch and a scooter tow.I know that a Monarch has been launched using an Ohio-Flyers scooter tow some time ago.

I will be operating from an airport that has a 2300 ' long runway and I will be using 4600 feet of line with a turning pulley.

Can anyone tell me what I might expect to achieve for a launch altitude? My scooter will be powered with a 250 cc Honda engine.

Any coments would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Wally

Old 03-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Instructor/Tandems

Wally,

With a light head wind we can get Kollman's Monarch around 600 ft on a 2800 ft runway with no pulley. The more wind the higher you will get. Where are you guys?
The Following User Says Thank You to John Alden For This Useful Post:

Old 03-26-2014, 07:08 PM

Hi,
I am located in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

I have been a friend of Jim Marske for over 5 years. I love his flying wing designs.

I have a 90% complete Monarch and a Pioneer2-d Kit that I will start building when I finish the Monarch.

I am joining a soaring club, Franconia Soaring Association , Franconia New Hampshire, that is the best soaring in all of New England. Our airport is located between Cannon Mountain (4200') and Mt Lafayette (5300') . There is great ridge soaring on the two mountains and good thermals in the valley between the two mountains.

Unfortunately the tug that the club uses for launching can not fly slow enough to launch the Monarch, so I am building a scooter tow that I will use to launch it.

Wally

Old 03-27-2014, 01:54 PM

Hi Wally
We just flew our latest Monarch. Using John's scooter rig with 2,600' of line. Jim was getting 700'-800' with a light headwind(3-5 mph) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XVcrQLNWmM
The tow height seemed pretty consistent with hang gliders. Jim Managed to soar the Monarch in spite of waterlogged ground and weak sunshine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to matt k For This Useful Post:

Old 03-27-2014, 03:05 PM
Club Member

Nice Video Matt. Was that just recently?
Wally, is the area you fly in the White Mountains still a military operating area? The last time I was there (many years ago) there were A-10 screaming by.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:49 PM

That was made a couple weeks ago during a very brief warm spell.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdmurphy44 View Post
Nice Video Matt. Was that just recently?
Wally, is the area you fly in the White Mountains still a military operating area? The last time I was there (many years ago) there were A-10 screaming by.

Frank,
I don't know. I have been there several times last summer and the only power driven airplane I ever saw was the Club's Tug launching gliders.

What I have been told is that Franconia is the best place for soaring in New England.
There is really good ridge soaring on Cannon Mt (4200') and Mt Lafayette (5400') which are located on each side of the valley the airport is located in. They also told me that there are very good thermals in the valley and the adjacent mountains.

I am looking forward to a great summer of flying .

Old 04-01-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt k View Post
Hi Wally
We just flew our latest Monarch. Using John's scooter rig with 2,600' of line. Jim was getting 700'-800' with a light headwind(3-5 mph) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XVcrQLNWmM
The tow height seemed pretty consistent with hang gliders. Jim Managed to soar the Monarch in spite of waterlogged ground and weak sunshine.
Matt,

Did that 2600' of line go around a turning block or did you just do a straight pull??

The airport I will be flying out of is 2300' long. I am planning on launching around a pulley and using the entire runway. If this layout is different than what you used for launching, would you make a guesstimate of what altitude you think I might get from that tow. The airport is not used during the week so I am also looking at trying to auto tow the Monarch . Local airports will not let me launch under any circumstances.(:o(

I was happy to hear you were able to build a Monarch. I tried to buy the molds from Redsell but if you haven't ever tried doing business with him you can't begin to understand what an impossible task that is.

He listed the molds as being for sale. I called and asked what he wanted for the lot. His response was, " What will you give me for them.?" I made him an offer after talking with Jim Marske about what he thought a fair price would be. Redsell's response was," I will give them to the guy that buys my Monarch before I would let them go for that price." Click!!! End of conversation. ???????? I am friendly with another guy that tried to buy them some time after I had called. His description of the conversation sounded like a recording of my conversation with Redsell. (:o)

Wally